Below is a clean list of London-based boutique investment banks with M&A departments. Boutique investment banks are usually smaller investment banks that specializes in certain types of sectors or companies. They tend to work on smaller deals or niche deals, usually below a billion dollars. Often, they will work on the the sell-side of a deal (i.e. helping sell a company as opposed to helping buy a company). They are good places to consider if you didn't get an offer at the bulge brackets as they are not sensitive to poorer academic records (except for the most prestigious ones) and will be a first good step into investment banking.
- Akur Partners. This independent capital markets adviser provides corporate finance advice, asset management, and deal execution.
- Alvarez & Marsal. Large accounting firm providing management consulting and transactionservices.
- Ambrian Capital London boutique investment bank specialised in Mining, Oil & Gas, Cleantech and Life Sciences
- Aperios Partners. Aperios Partners is a financial services group with activities in Investment Management and Investment Advisory.
- Arma Partners London-based boutique that focuses exclusively on the Telecom, Media and Technology sectors
- The Blackstone Group Blackstone is not only a private equity firm, they also offer M&A and restructuring advice, and have a well established presence in London
- Boenning & Scattergood Philadelphia headquartered boutique with offices in London
- Brewin Dolphin British Investment Management firm with £23 billion under management, also doing M&A advisory
- Bryan Garnier & Co www.bryangarnier.com - Bryan Garnier & Co is an investment bank that specializes in European growth companies. The company caters to corporations, venture capitalists, institutional investors, and private clients through asset management, corporate finance, sales, and trading.
- Brown Brothers Harriman Oldest and largest private bank in the USA, 4000 thousand staff globally with an increasing focus on investment banking
- Cain Brothers. Investment bank focused exclusively on healthcare
- Cairn Financial Advisers. Expertise in IPO and Takeover Code transactions for prospective and current AIM and ISDX companies
- Cannacord Genuity Hawkpoint. Canaccord Genuity is a global, full-service investment bank focused on growth companies, with operations in 10 countries worldwide and the ability to list companies on 10 stock exchanges
- Cavendish Corporate Finance LLP. http://cavendish.com/ provides financial advisory services to private companies, public enterprises, and financial institutions.
- Cenkos. Cenkos Securities is an independent specialist securities firm focused on UK small and mid-cap companies
- Climate Change Capital boutique asset management and corporate finance advisory group
- Corporate Finance Associates. Corporate Finance Associates is an international investment banking firm providing mergers & acquisitions services including selling a business
- DC Advisory Partners Formerly Close Brothers, M&A boutique with a strong reputation in the UK and Western Europe
- Europa Partners. focus on five key sectors Media – publishing, broadcasting, exhibitions, creative services, Luxury goods – brands and retail, Professional Services – legal, consulting, creative industries, Specialist Advisory and Culture and the arts – venues, charities, events
- Evercore Partners US Boutique founded by Blackstone and Lehman Brothers alumni, with a growing presence in London
- Financière Cambon www.financierecambon.com/ is a boutique investment banking firm that provides financial advisory services to the information technology sector. The firm offers mergers and acquisition, private placement, financial engineering, and business disposal and valuation advisory services. Additionally, it provides legal consulting services. The firm caters to information technology, telecommunications, and media sectors. Its clientele include Sushi Shop, Easyvoyage, Blue Consulting, Beezik, and Teleca group. Financière Cambon was founded in 2003 and is based in Paris, France with an additional office in London, United Kingdom
- First Capital - http://www.firstcapital.co.uk/ - FirstCapital is an independently owned investment bank providing mergers and acquisitions, private equity and growth capital advice to high growth technol
- GCA Saavian Boutique investment bank that is the result of the merger between GCA, a Japanese boutique, and Saavian, a US boutique. Developing its presence in the UK.
Gleacher Shacklock Specialist UK boutique of 30 people, based in London
- Global Counsel. We provide direct counsel to corporate strategists and senior management. We act as a sounding board for business leaders on business development, public policy and regulations, market-entry, M&A and deal origination.
- GP Bullhound LLP - http://www.gpbullhound.com/ - GP Bullhound LLP is a boutique investment banking firm that offers financial advisory services to emerging growth companies in the technology sector.
- Greenhill & Company One of the most prestigious US Boutique investment bank, with significant presence in London
- Green Square Partners. Green Square is a corporate finance advisory practice providing M&A to media and marketing communications businesses.
- GrowthPoint Technology Partners, LLC http://gptpartners.com/ - GrowthPoint Technology Partners, LLC is a boutique investment banking firm that provides mergers and acquisitions, fundraising, and strategic advisory services to a wide range of information technology, energy technology, and healthcare IT companies.
- Hampleton - http://www.hampletonpartners.com/team/ - Hampleton is a corporate finance advisory firm. The firm provides mergers and acquisitions and sell-side advisory to technology-based sectors including SaaS and cloud services, mobility, IT services and outsourcing, internet commerce, infrastructure, information management, enterprise applications, and digital marketing. Hampleton is headquartered in London, United Kingdom with an additional office in San Francisco.
- Harris Williams & Company Global Boutique Investment bank focusing on the middle market (smaller companies)
- Houlihan Lokey US boutique investment bank with global offices, with a very strong reputation in the restructuring space.
- Investec. South aftrican bank with a focus on UK, South Africa and Australia.
- Liberium Capital London and NY based boutique with about 130 staff, founded by Collin Stewart ex-CEO, with a good track record in M&A.
- Livingstone Partners Mid Market M&A boutique, with good presence in US and Western Europe
- Magister advisors - http://magisteradvisors.com/ - Magister Advisors Limited offers financial and strategic advisory services to later stage companies.
- Moelis M&A boutique founded by Ken Moelis, Ex head of Investment Banking at UBS. Strong in the US, has a London office
- Mooreland Partners LLC - www.moorelandpartners.com - Mooreland Partners LLC is a boutique investment banking and financial advisory firm that caters to public and private information technology companies.
- New River Corporate Finance. New River Corporate Finance LLP is an independent corporate finance business, advising on transactions in the UK and internationally.Our clients operate in four sectors: Energy & Infrastructure (including Renewable Energy and Transport); Technology, Media and Telecoms; and Finance & Funds.
- Panmure Gordon Boutique investment bank with offices in London and San Francisco, better known for its involvement in Technology transactions
- Perella Weinberg Partners one of most prestigious boutique, founded by M&A Legends Joseph Perella and Peter Weingberg (ex-CEO of Goldman Sachs)
- Piper Jaffray One of the largest US-based investment banking boutique with offices in London
- Qatalyst Partners LP - www.qatalyst.com - Qatalyst Partners LP is a boutique investment bank that offers technology focused advisory services. It provides merger and acquisition and corporate advisory services. Qatalyst Partners LP is based in San Francisco, California with an additional office in London, United Kingdom.
- Quest Corporate. Quest is a Corporate Finance Boutique based in Edinburgh.
- Seymour Pierce London-based boutique investment bank, with a good reputation in equity research and an M&A team
- Stella Capital Advisors LLP - www.stellaadvisors.com - Stella Capital Advisors LLP provides financial advisory services focusing on the media, Internet and technology (MIT) sectors.
- Thomas Weisel Partners US Boutique focused on the technology sector, with strong presence in London
- The Valence Group, LLC www.valencegroup.com is a boutique investment banking firm that provides financial advisory services to chemicals and materials industries. The firm offers mergers and acquisitions, fairness opinions, valuation, cross border transactions, bid defence, and buy and sell side advisory services. Additionally, it provides environmental liabilities, carve outs, supply agreements, regulatory compliance, and intellectual property consulting services
- William Blair & Company Chicago headquartered-boutique with significant London based-presence, running Analyst and Associate programmes.
- White Oak Advisory. is an independent financial advisory firm providing specialist, high-level and impartial advice to governments and other clients on matters relating to sovereign finances and sovereign debt
- Zaoui & Co. http://zaouico.com. Michael and Yoel Zaoui established Zaoui & Co. in 2013 to advise select clients on mergers, acquisitions and other strategic and financial transactions, and investment decisions
Related Interview Practice Guides
- Investment Banking Technical Interview Questions Guide
Technical questions are one of the most difficult part of every finance interview.The AskIvy 70+ pages technical guide is a compilation of the most commonly asked technical questions for investment banking interviews.
- Investment Banking Assessment Centers Case Study Practice Guide
This guide includes fully worked-out answers and advice for the three most common investment banking case studies compiled by investment bankers.
- AskIvy Investment Banking Modelling Test
The excel file contains the answer to the Investment Banking DCF modelling test described on our website, including Assumptions sheet, all financial statements and DCF.